Thirty-two ladies from Middletown met August 6, 1943 to organize an auxiliary to the Middletown Fire Company. Mary Little was elected as the first president. The first fund raiser was a “measuring party”. It was recorded that it was very successful, with a profit of $13.74.
The Auxiliary has always been much involved with helping the company with whatever need arose. In 1944, proceeds from bingo were used toward an adequate water supply. Money was raised and donated for repairs of the station and the trucks. When the present building was constructed in the early 1950’s, the ladies created their own building fund to contribute. They planned activities to outfit the new building. The ladies raised funds for fire and rescue equipment.
The Auxiliary has held and participated in many fundraisers throughout the years. They helped with the firemen’s carnivals, barbeques and auctions, have sold food at local events and auctions, and catered receptions and parties. They have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars over their 70 plus years as an organization. The Auxiliary has purchased two ALS units for the company. Not only have they supported the company financially, but have been there to support the members by helping out how ever they are needed. Although the organization started as a ladies group, the organization now has several members that are male.